Jan 26, 2012

Here Comes Black History Month....

Thursday is gone and here comes Friday.
Friday no longer holds any real meaning for me except another day to get through. I remember when I was in high school, Friday meant the weekend was here and that meant two days of sleeping in. Or when I was going to cosmetology school, Friday was my day off, which meant I had more time to do some extra cleaning around the house. Now Friday is nothing more than another day closer to the beginning of another week.

I miss having a day to look forward to.
ANYWHO!
As I sit here with Jersey Shore watching me, I have a million things running through my head.
Where to start is a better question than what am I thinking. *lol*

For right now, for this post, I'll start with a movie I can't wait to see.
Immediately after typing the title for this post, I thought to myself "Only 28 days long..."
So the movie "Red Tails" was released on January 20, 2012. It was allll over Facebook for everyone's status about how EVERYONE needs to go and see this movie in the theaters and support the story of the Tuskegee Airmen. I do plan to see this movie. I really want to see it. I have a few gripes about it, as do a few people that I know. I've heard many complaints as to how this movie is being 'pushed' so hard. "Is it because it's about the Airmen or is it because George Lucas wants us to put money back in his pockets?" "Does no one remember the 1995 movie "The Tuskegee Airmen" that came out on HBO?"
I love that a movie about such important people in history is being put out in a time when most young people are too busy worrying about the next pair of Air Jordans, or the next video game system, or newest phone or car. I love it because as the years move on, more and more of Black History is getting pushed to the backburners.
Remember when every year you could turn on the television to your local ABC or NBC channel and you'd find the story of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X and Medgar Evers?
Or Roots and Queen would play in February almost every other day (just in case you missed it the days before)?
When Black History was taught in school not just in February but as part of the curriculum?
When February in school made you feel proud (and mad at the same time) to be of African-American descent?
What happened to that?
What happened to teachers who would teach and go off the course of the state curriculum to tell other stories of what 'really' happened or of their own experiences?
I remember and love that when I was in elementary school I was so enthralled by my Black History that I thought of myself as a "mini Black Panther"....everything from poetry to my Malcolm X shirts and Africa medallions, shells in my hair, "revoluntionary elementary chick" was I. *lol*
I loved watching documentaries about how Africans endured and maintained through slavery; how they invented what is used today by everyone; how the African-American culture has influenced so much of what is today.

My husband was privileged and honored enough to meet a Tuskegee Airman when we were stationed in New Jersey. You can read an article about his visit here. Mister came home that day and talked for what seemed like hours about how happy and excited and 'star struck' he was to be in the presence of someone who is literally part of a legend. Mr. George Watson Sr.

"Watson retired in 1969. He has received many honors, the most prestigious being the Congressional Gold Medal in March 2007. He was interviewed by George Lucas for a documentary called “Red Tail,” set for release in 2012.
At age 90, Watson still travels, speaking to prisons, schools, military personnel and sharing his stories and the importance the military served in his life. He has written two books, collects memorabilia and organizes a scholarship fund so that others have the opportunity to accomplish what he could not."


Even on a day when I'm faced with ignorance and racism, it's hard to deflate the balloon in my chest that screams to be let out "I am a proud Black Woman, descendant of a proud Black race!"
So I do look forward to seeing Red Tails. Regardless of the naysayers, I want to support the movie, the actors, the history.
Have you?
Will you?

Red Tails:
The thrilling true story of the Tuskegee Airmen buzzes to the big screen in this epic war adventure from executive producer George Lucas and first-time feature director Anthony Hemingway. In the fire and chaos of World War II, the U.S. military recruits a fearless group of African-American fighter pilots to help reclaim the skies over Europe. Discriminated against both as citizens and as soldiers, the Tuskegee Airmen take flight in planes distinguished by distinctive red tails, and fight to defeat the tyranny of the Axis powers. As a result of their bravery, the pilots emerge as true heroes, and prove that all men are truly created equal. Terrence Howard, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Bryan Cranston star. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi




No comments:

Blog Buddies

Most Read....